Darlings, please be sure to mark your calendars! A portion of the proceeds from this event benefits programs offered by The Junior League of Birmingham, which will in turn benefit our local community.
See you there!
What else would have me at Saks Fifth Avenue with a makeup-free face?
When Trish McEvoy artist Kimberly Black-Crawford offered to give me a fresh face before The Birmingham Chapter of The Links, Inc. gala fundraiser last Saturday, I was a little nervous (although she’d previously gotten me to try the lippie seen HERE). Confession: I haven’t had a makeover since I first bought makeup with my mom, at Gayfer’s Fashion Fair in Cordova Mall! Now, I’ve definitely had my makeup professionally applied since then, but I hadn’t had a custom makeup session.
After trading some messages and a picture of my chosen outfit for the evening – and with a little trepidation, a freshly washed face and a big pair of sunglasses – I headed to Saks. Kimberly immediately put me at ease and gave me a look that literally made me teary-eyed! I didn’t realize I could look so…glow-y! You know how you have an image of you’d like to look in your mind? For me it’s dewy skin and dramatic eyes, and Kimberly brought that to life.
She also skillfully introduced me to products I’d never considered by Estee Lauder, Chanel and Yves St. Laurent (I’d gotten into a product rut.). Kimberly used the following to craft my look:
To prep my moisturized face, she applied Trish McEvoy Beauty Booster Cream ($90) as a primer on my cheeks and Laura Mercier Secret Finish Mattifying ($27) on my nose to eliminate shine. Then for sheer coverage she used Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Stay in Place Makeup ($37), Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Powder Makeup SPF10 in “Rich Caramel”($36) to absorb any oil, Yves St. Laurent Radiant Touch Highlighter to brighten my eyes and lightly contour my cheekbones, ($41) and CHANEL Joues Contraste Powder Blush ($45) in 89/Canaille to highlight my (newly-contoured) cheeks. She used Estee Lauder’s Bronze Goddess eye palette for shadowing(for a similar look, try Estee Lauder Pure Color Intense Eye Shadow Trio in “Amber Alloy,” $36), and applied lashes I’d chosen. Kimberly’s tip for applying them? DO NOT use hair glue! If you’re doing that, STOP! Use Duo lash adhesive instead! I finished with my own MAC lipstick in Freckletone later.
Three peole stopped toask me where/who I’d gotten my makeup from that evening, which NEVER happens. And yes, the look lasted all night long! I was sad to wash it off at the end of the evening. What I loved most was I still felt like myself, not like an overly-contoured caricature. As Kimberly says “Blend, never beat!”
She is available to do your makeup too (seriously, go check her out!), either at Saks or at your home. To schedule your session, email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (205) 612-9788.
(Wondering what I’m wearing? Remember THIS dress?)
Darlings, you’ll want to take advantage of this fabulous sale. Select apparel, shoes and accessories are 25% off now and in stores through April 28 (jewelry is 20% off); designer exclusions apply.
I love a French phrase, so I’m snagging this tee by Joie (regularly $138). Oui, oui – indeed! This laid-back, comfy linen tee is the perfect layering piece with a blazer and destroyed boyfriend denim, or with shorts and sandals.
P.S. You heard it here first: we’re giving away something fab tomorrow! Stay tuned!
Images via Saks Fifth Avenue
Do you need to brush up on the latest in makeup? Join Saks Fifth Avenue for a Beauty Night Out tomorrow from 5:30 to 8:00 PM!
The Beauty Night Out will include a reception and teach the basics of makeup:
-day to night eye makeup
Tasha Deyampert and Tamarous Reynolds will facilitate the class and the reception will be hosted from 5:30 to 6:00 PM. The makeup class will begin at 6:15 PM.
To connect via social media, follow @Bhambeautys5a on Twitter, Birmingham Beauty at Saks Fifth Avenue on Facebook and @Birminghambeautyats5a and @tashasmakeupbeautique on Instagram.
Saks Fifth Avenue is located at 129 Summit Boulevard, Birmingham, AL 35243.
Holly Golightly may have had breakfast at Tiffany’s, but I recently enjoyed a much more delightful breakfast at our local Saks! Darlings, while you are out using your Shop Save & Share card , consider using it to scoop one (or all!) of these fab items:
1. Kiehl’s Rosa Arctica Youth Renegerating Cream – My skin breathes a sigh of relief every time I dab a little of this moisturizer on under my makeup. It has a refreshing scent, a lush texture and includes a “Resurrection Flower” that makes my skin feel plumper and smoother with each use. I can particularly see a difference across my forehead (which I frequently “scrunch”). TRY IT. ($60)
2. Jo Malone London fragrances “Wild Bluebell” and “English Pear & Freesia” – I’ve talked about the personal nature of fragrance before, and RARELY do I share what I’m wearing. But what I absolutely love about Jo Malone’s line is that these are made to be worn separately, but can (and should!) also be layered together, which creates a totally new, totally delicious scent. ($60 for 1 ounce of each)
3. Laura Mercier Fresh Fig Creme Body Wash – If you enjoy a luxe bubble bath or shower, this body wash is for you. It cleanses the skin without drying it out and has a subtle yet pleasing fragrance that won’t irritate sensitive skin. ($36)
4. Guerlain Rouge G L’Extrait Lip Color in “M69/Orgueil” – When cosmetics consultant Kimberly Crawford handpicked this shade for me, I was a little…scared. I haven’t worn dark lipcolor since high school, and usually stick to a nude lip (or MAC’s Ruby Woo when I’m feeling a bit daring). But this fall, beauty is all about a bold, vampy lip and I am in LOVE with this shade. The product feels like silk when applied, dries to a matte velvet finish without that horribly dry feeling matte lip color sometimes has, and the color is amazing. ($49.50)
5. Last but not least, relax and shop in total ease by making an appointment at Saks’ recently re-launched Fifth Avenue Club, which offers a very special shopping experience for customers. Shopping is neither a chore nor a bore when you have knowledgeable, approachable style ambassadors at hand who understand your budget and aesthetic and can provide personalized attention and trustworthy advice. This is an elevated level of service – where you can preview sleected looks in a swanky private suite – which makes shopping a pleasure. I I encourage you to schedule a visit, whether you’re looking for items you can mix and match for daytime wear or shopping for a special event.
Ready to shop? A Friends and Family promotion is happening now through October 20, online and in stores (with some exclusions). Saks is located at 129 Summit Boulevard.
Enjoy 20% off online-only purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue (with some exclusions, and jewelry is 15% off) today through October 17. Use FRNFAM2 at checkout. Click HERE for more information and details on exclusions.
From October 18-21, enjoy the Friends & Family discount in store and online.
Saks Fifth Avenue also offers free standard shipping on orders of $150 or more (now through October 27) with code FREESHP3. See website for additional details.
Image via Saks